More power, better traction, less shifting. Wolf Tooth oval chainrings use our proprietary PowerTrac design that has all the benefits of oval, but without the funky, uneven pedal stroke. Ride one once and you'll wonder why you waited so long to try oval.
Think of an oval chainring as two chainrings in one. A major benefit of oval is how the shape of the chainring alters your gearing in two important phases of your pedal stroke by harnessing your body's natural biomechanics. Here's how it works. The area of the chainring with the larger diameter engages with the chain at the optimal point on the downstroke, which is what's known as the Power Zone. If you were to look at a clock, the Power Zone would be between 1-5 and 7-11. Conversely, the Recovery Zone – back to the clock face, between 11-1 and 5-7 – is the weakest part of the pedal stroke, when the oval maximizes your efficiency. A 34T oval chainring behaves like a 36T chainring when you want power, while behaving like a 32T chainring when you're climbing.
We've also engineered our oval chainrings to provide smoother, more efficient pedal rotation. This equates to better traction because of steadier torque on the rear wheel. With a Wolf Tooth oval chainring, you can harness more of your strength in the Power Zone, while having easier pedaling in the Recovery Zone.
The direct mount chainrings for SRAM cranksets with the 3 bolt mounting interface. They replace your existing spider and chainring with one clean looking, lightweight, and stiff piece of machined billet. They are available in the Drop-Stop B tooth profile, which is optimized for SRAM Flattop chain. It is also compatible with all other 9, 10, 11, and 12 speed chains except Shimano 12spd chain.
- These direct mount chainrings will replace your existing chainring and spider or replace the direct mount ring on SRAM cranksets including the DUB cranks. The ring is attached via 3 bolts on the back side of the spider near the spindle. Note that these chainrings are NOT compatible with SRAM 8-bolt direct mount cranksets.
- Wolf Tooth's patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- There is one offset: Standard Road/CX/Gravel: 6mm offset for cyclocross and road crank applications with 47mm chainline
- Praxis Works Road/CX cranks use the 6mm offset.
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
Available in multiple tooth profiles for optimal performance based on your chain type. Use Drop-Stop ST for use with Shimano 12-speed Hyperglide+ and 12spd KMC chains. Use Drop-Stop A for all 9, 10, and 11spd chains or 12spd SRAM Eagle, KMC, Connex or Wippermann chains. Drop-Stop B is optimized for SRAM 12 spd Transmission (T-type) and Road Flattop chains but is compatible with all chains that work with Drop-Stop A.
Compatible 9, 10, 11, and 12s SRAM Eagle, 12s SRAM Transmission (T-type) Flattop, 12s Campy, 12s KMC
Not compatible with 12s Shimano HG+ chains
- Recommend the use of a clutch style rear derailleur for the best chain security.
- An L-wrench works best since the crank spindle may contact a socket adapter and prevent it from engaging properly.
- Use the same 3 bolts to attach the Wolf Tooth ring or we carry replacement bolts
- Weights: 38t/90g | 40t/96g | 42t/104g
- Material: 7075-T6 aluminum
- Made in the USA
|Black / SRAM 3-Bolt Direct Mount / 38T / Drop-Stop B||810006801170||OVAL-SDM38-FT||210000031307|
|Black / SRAM 3-Bolt Direct Mount / 40T / Drop-Stop B||810006801187||OVAL-SDM40-FT|
|Black / SRAM 3-Bolt Direct Mount / 42T / Drop-Stop B||810006801194||OVAL-SDM42-FT|